Aptora Mobile Field Service Management Software
Mobile Server Requirements
Aptora Mobile field service management software consists of two parts; a server and a device that connects to that server. You will need the assistance of a qualified IT person to install and properly setup this system.
The following requirements apply to all Aptora Mobile Server installations. Please contact a technology professional if you need assistance with acquiring any of the following:
- You must own Total Office Manager.
- A registered domain name (e.g. aptora.com, yourcompany.net, etc.). The domain name or one of its sub-domains must be forwarded to your static IP address from your ISP.
- A SSL Certificate from a trusted authority (e.g. GoDaddy.com, Verisign, etc.) that is issued to the domain or sub-domain used to configure IIS bindings on the Aptora Mobile Server computer.
- We recommend that you use a separate computer for this purpose. This is not required but will provide your company with better security. This computer should have the same basic hardware configuration as the desktop computer.
- See Operating Systems Supported below.
- Internet Information Services (IIS) v7 (or higher).
- All updates installed.
- Router with Port Forwarding capability (most have this). This may depend on your ISP. A qualified IT person will know what to do.
- Static IP Address (this may require additional monthly fees from your internet provider).
- An internet connection is required. We recommend 10 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload speeds or greater.
- Installation and Configuration from an IT Professional with IIS experience. They must have experience routing external web traffic to a specific computer, in an office, using a specific port. This is not a do-it-yourself installation. The configuration can get a bit tricky.
- Aptora will only be able to provide limited technical assistance with the configuration of Aptora Mobile Server. It is important that you have a technology professional available that understands TCP/IP networking, domain registrations, and IIS configuration. If you do not have a technology professional available to you, Aptora has setup assistance services available for a reasonable fee.
Too Complicated? Ask your account manager about our hosting option. We can host all of the mobile software on our own servers and simply charge you a reasonable monthly fee.
Operating Systems Supported
|Operating system||Supported editions||Type|
|Windows Server 2012 R2||64-bit||Server|
|Windows Server 2012 (64-bit edition)||64-bit||Server|
|Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1||64-bit||Server|
|Windows 8.1||32-bit and 64-bit||Client|
|Windows 8||32-bit and 64-bit||Client|
|Windows 7 SP1||32-bit and 64-bit||Client|
The following requirements apply to a device that connects to the Aptora Mobile Server. We also have a good article that might help you select your mobile field service management software.
- Internet Browser including Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, and FireFox. Chrome is recommended.
- Optional: An email account for emailing documents such as invoices. That’s it!
Basically any device that can connect to the internet with a browser can be used for your mobile device. These devices include iPhone, iPad, Android powered devices and phones, Windows phones and others. We also have Android and Apple iOS apps.
Mobile Device Recommendations
We recommend an Android based device with an approximate 9 inch screen. Nothing larger is necessary but we feel like a seven inch screen is a bit too small. Of course you will need a data plan. Our mobile software uses very little data. You will hardly notice a difference in data usage and less you upload a lot of photos and other files.
If you are a manager and you don’t use the mobile device all day long during the course of your job, you might find your smartphone is totally adequate. You may also feel that a heavy duty case is not essential for owners and managers.
We don’t like to recommend a specific device or model number because specifications change and it is so much a matter of taste. We recommend that you be sure that you can get a good case for whatever device you select. For example if you’re buying devices for service technicians you might want to consider a very heavy duty case. Select your case first or at least be sure that you can get a case for whatever device you’re considering before you buy those devices. Android devices are often offered for little or no money when you sign a one or two year contract for the data plan. We aquired nice LG models for $10.00 each with a one year data plan commitment. That was a no brainer.
We have great respect for Apple hardware and software. However we do not recommend Apple mobile devices at this time. That is because the process of rewriting the software, getting it approved, and getting it into the Apple Store means that Apple hardware users are always going to be behind what we offer the Android users. A bug fix or a feature can be released to Android users immediately. The same process currently takes about one month for Apple users. This does not apply to the browser version of our mobile software.
More Questions? Concerns?
Please call us: 913-492-9930 or emails us.